62 Resources for Part-Time Photographers & Fine Artists to Grow Their Art Businesses
In our experience, part-time photographers and fine artists looking for advice online fall into two categories:
Those that are doing anything and everything they can to climb their way to that full-time artist lifestyle – quitting their day job, saving for retirement, and living off of their art.
And those that are happy to keep art a part-time fixture in their life, and would simply like to earn as much as possible from that part-time commitment.
Whether you fall into group A or group B (or are undecided and just feeling it out), all part-time artists have one thing in common: they can improve their sales with less effort than they probably think.
You don't need a ton of time and a degree in marketing to move the needle on your art business. All you need is the right resources, and that's what this article is all about.
Below, we'll confetti-cannon blast a slew of some of our favorite resources for part-time artists from around the web. Many of which, we created ourselves!
So whether you're here to get one step closer to quitting your 9-5, or just want to see if you can't grow your art side business a little bit larger, dive in with the links below.
We recommend bookmarking this page and checking out a link or two a day, or however often you have time.
First things first, you just found the jackpot.
We do a ton of blogging here on the subject of effectively marketing art. We'll recommend the essentials for part-timers below, but to make getting better at building your audience an on-going process for you, we highly recommend subscribing to our email list for new post updates.
Alright, here are a few of our most relevant posts for part-time photographers and artists. Pick a few and dive in!
- 13 Reasons Why an Online Art Gallery is the Perfect Side Business
- How many images should you have before you open your online art gallery?
- Photographers: Sell More Prints with These 5 Tips
- How to Price Your Artwork for Maximum Success
- 10 Things You Must Do to Sell Original Art Online
- Tell Your Story, or Starve: Why Only YOU Can Market Your Art
- Is Etsy Worth It?
- Whoever Is Closest to the Customer, Wins the Art Sale
- 5 Golden Rules for Building an Audience of Art Buyers on Instagram
More of an audio person? Meet the Art Marketing Podcast - a show for photographers and artists about generating consistent art sales.
Here are a few recommended episodes:
- 017: The Holiday Art Marketing Playbook
- 018: Facebook Messenger is the New Email
- 021: Mathieu Laca on Running a Print Giveaway Contest with ManyChat
- 022: Doing Things That Don't Scale
- 025: Creating an Art Marketing Plan for 2018 and Beyond
- 026: You Made a Sale, Congrats, Now the Work Begins
- 027: The Art Show Playbook
- 029: Your 4th Quarter Marketing Audit
Just want to get in a creative state? Try out these art content curators:
- Discover Earth
- Our Planet Daily
- Art of Visuals
- Passion Passport
- Aesthetica Magazine
- The Outbound Collective
- A Game of Tones
For Fine Artists
See why hundreds of part-time artists use Art Storefronts to run their own art galleries online
Need to create a digital asset like a eBook or a Lead Magnet? These services will get the job done:
Ready to get some serious work done on your part-time art business? Here are the audience-building tools we recommend, along with some posts on how to make the most of them.
- The Anatomy of an Effective Artist Romance Email
- The Anatomy of an Art Sales Email
- How to Resend Email to Unopens (and why it’s a great idea)
- A/B Testing Emails: Subject Lines – A How-To Guide for MailChimp
- Facebook Messenger is the New Email
- Facebook Contests with ManyChat and Messenger
- Mathieu Laca on Running a Print Giveaway Contest with ManyChat
- How to Setup ManyChat for Facebook Messenger
- The Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide to Running Facebook Contests
- Learn What (and How) to Post on Facebook and Instagram
- Top 10 Reasons Artists Need to Be Using Instagram Stories
- Examples of Effective Instagram Stories for Artists
- Timelapse Videos for Instagram: The Artist’s Ultimate Romance Content
For even more good stuff, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to get our latest art marketing content sent to your inbox.
And if you don't already know, we do far more than blog about artist success – we do everything we can to help create it.
Art Storefronts is an all-in-one solution for part-time (and full-time) photographers and fine artists - we offer our members website software specifically-designed to sell art, on-going marketing advice from our on-staff gurus, an easy-to-follow success plan, and a vibrant community of their peers to talk shop with.
Will you join us? Get started today by requesting a demo - we'd love to help you find out if we're a good fit!
Art Storefronts Is the All-In-One Art Business Solution
We help photographers and artists open and run their own art gallery business, online.
Your Own Website
Best-in-class software built from the ground up specifically for photographers and artists.
Back Office Tools
Spend less time on paperwork, and more time creating.
A Marketing Plan
Skip the frustration – we'll teach you what's actually working for photographers and artists.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Sell More Art With Augmented Reality
An augmented reality tool purpose-built for artists and photographers. You'll sell more art than ever when your buyers can see what your work will look like on their walls – straight from your website (no app downloads required!).
Get Art Marketing Advice Sent to Your Inbox
Enter you email address below and we'll keep you up-to-date on all the latest and greatest art marketing strategies and tactics.